Student Visitor Admission Information
Salem Lutheran School (SLS) is authorized under Federal law and certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to enroll nonimmigrant students, and issue I-20 documents to attend grades K-8 on an F-1 student visa. We welcome foreign students and believe our culturally diverse school family is enriched by shared experiences.
SLS, a WASC accredited, nationally recognized Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, is a day school – and does not offer a boarding/host program. To be considered for enrollment, a legal guardian must be willing to maintain and support the student while studying in the U.S.
The first step is to schedule an appointment with the Principal or Associate Principal for a consultation. Students will be placed in grade levels based on transcripts, age, and testing results. Students do not need to be fluent in English, but basic proficiency is recommended. Please bring the following to your consultation (all documents completed in a language other than English must be translated into English):
- SLS application for admission with a $500.00 I-20 application fee per student
- A copy of the student’s Passport, showing: name, date of birth, and expiration
- A copy of the student’s academic records including grades and courses completed
- Proof of legal guardianship and financial support
- Both a U.S. and a Foreign address
- Immunization Records for tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (DTaP), measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), Hep B, Polio, and Varicella. (A TB test is also required of all students entering a California school).
F-1 Visa – Once we issue your I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” you must make an appointment with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an in-person interview, and pay your SEVIS I-901 fee.
For a “transfer” of an I-20/SEVIS NUMBER presently in active status – student must notify former school, who issued I-20, to transfer his/her active SEVIS number to Salem Lutheran School on the SEVIS website. Notify Salem Lutheran School of the transfer release date.
Refund Policy – SLS tuition for 2023-2024 is $10,250 (including the comprehensive registration and materials fee). If a student has paid, and is unable to attain the F-1 Visa, the tuition and comprehensive fee will be refunded. However, the I-20 application fee is not refundable.